Saturday, March 5, 2011

Kim Barnes "In the Wilderness: Coming of Age in Unknown Country"

This book brought out so many memories of my childhood growing up in Lewiston since moving there in 1965.  Kim was a year older than myself, but I graduated with her cousin, Les, she mentions in her book and we hung out a few times.  The rebelliousness, the drugs we all tried during the 70s, but unfortunately, because I was not brought up in a religious household, it was hard for me to understand what all Kim had gone through, other than the taste of freedom was all so desired.  For anyone wanting to know what it was like to grow up in Northern Idaho in the 1970s, this the book to read.

I so miss being in Lewiston, having left there in 1980 to go to college in California, then back again for a brief time until I went into the Navy in 1981 and have moved around since then.  I still have family living in Lewiston and Orofino area and go back to visit when I can.  But I plan to go back one day to live, perhaps along the Clearwater River where we swam, boated and floated or in Orofino where the Dworshak Dam Kim talks about in her book brings back so many wonderful memories as well.  We used to swim in the river before the dam was built that my father had worked on as a computer programmer and my sister currently works there.

Truly a wonderful book, especially for those of who lived there, to bring back memories of our childhood, good or bad.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4909373-jacqueline-walton" View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to let you know that I received your book. If I don't contact them (Bookbuzzr) they will know that I got it. I will get to it Asap and gladly give a review. Be Blessed
    Barbara Hart
    http://www.annb106.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete